Saturday, September 22, 2012

As a Mom I'm Quite Crappy!!





After this photo sparked a gigantic debate for being posted on Life with Levi's Facebook page an astounding number of Moms (and a few Dads) have spoken up about the awful, ignorant and downright rude comments that came from other parents.  The comments were directed towards any parent who had chosen/would choose to circumcise their son.  The comments were hurtful.  The comments were disgraceful.  The comments were unnecessary.  I completely understand that there are parents out there who choose not to circumcise for their own personal reasons, but there are also parents out there who choose to circumcise for their own personal reasons.  Who is anyone to judge whether or not a parent is a good parent based solely on this practice?  I agree that everyone is 100% entitled to their own opinion, but those opinions DO NOT need to be so blatantly hurtful to other individuals.  I feel that as adults we should be able to support each other, especially in the parenting community, through our differences in child rearing.  The purpose of this photo was to highlight the different choices these four particular women made in raising their children and how each is still loving their child unconditionally.  I feel like this is an easy task for any parent - loving their child unconditionally.  "Let's celebrate that."

Joining the other inspiring "Moms who are Crappy" here is my list of why I just don't cut it as a perfect Mom:

-  I had a mostly all natural birth. 

-  Labor and delivery for me was 4 hours and 45 minutes from first contraction to holding my daughter.  I'm happy about that because I don't know if I could have gone all natural if I had had a long labor.

-  I yelled at my husband (which made the doctor laugh) during delivery.

-  I needed stitches (because my daughter came out in 4 pushes) and while I was getting them I cried (it hurt so much worse than actually having the baby) and had to hand off my daughter to my Husband.

-  My daughter was away from me after birth for over an hour (Hubby was with her) and the nurses took her both mornings for inspection by the doctor for about an hour.

-  I stayed in the hospital as long as they would let me.

-  I asked for and received help from lactation consultants.

-  My daughter had been exclusively breast fed up until last week when we tried solids.

-  I plan on continuing to nurse my daughter until we both feel it is time to stop.  At which point she will most likely have pumped breast milk in her diet.

-  My daughter dislikes rice cereal so we are not going to make her eat it anymore.

-  I try very hard to eat healthy because whatever I eat, she gets through my milk.

-  My daughter had to be in the hospital for jaundice at 3 days old.  After the worst night of my life - watching her scream and cry herself hoarse and not being able to hold her or console her (yeah, try nursing a baby you aren't supposed to hold) - I yelled at the head doctor of the hospital and two residents.  They were a little more understanding after that and finally made her a little more comfortable.  

-  The first food our daughter had was pumpkin (because I had some left from the can I used to bake with).  Which she loves.

-  My daughter wakes me up every morning.  Sometimes, after I nurse her in the morning, we sleep a little longer snuggled up in bed together.

-  My daughter's first night in her own room was 3 nights ago.  I cried like crazy!

-  I shower (or take a bath) with my daughter every single night. (YAY for conserving water & time!)

-  My daughter is sleeping by 8:00 every night.

-  My daughter sleeps about 11 hours a night....

-  My daughter wakes up 2 - 5 times to nurse during the night.  I do not make her cry herself back to sleep hungry and alone.  I nurse her and she happily goes back to sleep with a full belly.

-  My daughter is dressed in a little girl outfit, with matching bow and socks, every single day.

-  I wear my daughter as often as possible when we are out.

-  My daughter wears an Amber Necklace around her neck and has worn it on some body part since she was two months old.

-  My daughter loves her binkies (pacifiers).

 -  My daughter is, and will continue to be, vaccinated.  

-  I plan most of my outings around her nap time (though we sometimes run late getting home).  I do this because she sleeps better at home than in the car seat (plus she is a social butterfly so she won't sleep if people are around!). 

-  I do every silly thing I can think of just to make my daughter smile.

-  I sing every song, read every book and recite every poem I can to my daughter because she responds to it and it makes her smile.

-  I give my daughter hundreds of kisses a day.

-  I say "Please" and "Thank You" to my daughter as often as possible so she learns her manners.

-  When I need a minute (or 15) from my daughter, and Hubby is not around, I put her in a baby toy (exersaucer, bouncy chair, swing etc.) and go about my business while she is contained.

-  I cry when I pack up my daughter's clothes that she has grown out of.

-  I buy only clearance or used toys and clothes for my daughter.

-  I don't have a calendar dating every milestone my daughter has reached.

-  I don't have a baby book filled with pictures.

-  I don't plan on hovering over her when she gets bigger.

My daughter is only 6.5 months old so I know this list will get much, much longer as time goes on.  For now it really appears that I am one "CRAPPY" Momma!

No comments:

Post a Comment